Powerlink House Ltd Electrics

Part P
Buy With Confidence
Recycling MCBs
Corona Virus Grocery deliveries in Worthing area
Angmering and surrounding areas delivery and grocery information
Worthing Takeaways that have their own online ordering

Why do I need a Qualified Electrician? All about Part 'P' and how it effects you

If you are planning to extend or alter the electrical installation in your home, such as providing extra sockets in the kitchen, or adding new ceilings lights, don't attempt the installation yourself. Ensure you employ a competent electrician. The Government introduced a new law in January 2005, which demands that most electrical work in UK households is only carried out by a ‘competent' person and much of this work must be notified to Building control.

What is the electrical safety law?

Electrical safety requirements have been included in a new Part P of the Building Regulations. The Building Regulations deal with the health and safety of people in and around buildings by providing functional requirements for building design and construction.

The law states that anyone carrying out fixed electrical installations in households in England and Wales must ensure that electrical installations are:

Designed and installed to afford appropriate protection against mechanical and thermal damage, and so that they do not present electric shock and fire hazards to people.
Suitably inspected and tested to verify that they meet the relevant equipment and installation standards.

What is a fixed electrical installation?

Many improvements carried out in the home include some form of fixed electrical installation. For example, a new kitchen may require your electrician to install additional sockets, extra lighting and appliances. A fixed installation is the wiring and appliances that are fixed to the building, such as sockets, switches, consumer units (fuse boxes) and ceiling fittings.

Who is responsible for ensuring that the electrical work carried out in my home meets safety requirements?

You are. It will be a legal requirement for homeowners and landlords to be able to prove that all fixed electrical installations and alteration work have been carried out and certified by a competent person. That is, by an electrician registered with a Government approved body such as the NICEIC.

How will I benefit from the electrical safety law?

You can expect to have safer, better quality electrical installation work because all electrical contractors will be working to BS 7671, the national safety standard. You will also be further protected against unsafe work as all electrical contractors are now required to offer their customers the option of additional protection through an insurance-backed warranty. Furthermore, if you use an NICEIC electrical contractor, you will benefit from the Complaints Resolution scheme.


The NICEIC carries out regular assessments of its registered electrical contractors to ensure that they are and continue to be ‘competent' to carry out electrical installations.


Registered Company Number: 4275232, VAT Registration Number: 785 3657 81

Phone: 01903 830199, Mob: 0794 724 6294

Email Paul@powerlinkhouse.co.uk


Home ] [ Part P ] Buy With Confidence ] Feedback ] Links ] Recycling MCBs ] GDPR ] Corona Virus Grocery deliveries in Worthing area ] Angmering and surrounding areas delivery and grocery information ] Worthing Takeaways that have their own online ordering ]